It’s almost time again—for the 2014 MWG contests, that is—so get ready, get set, write! Below are the current writing contest categories for the President’s, Chapter, and Sponsor contests. This year we have two new additions to the contests—a YA Short Story contest and a Sci Fi Short Story contest.
Also new this year is an increase in the entry fee to $10 for all contests. Along with this increase in fees is an increase in awards. Winners of the President’s contests will receive $100/$50/$25 for First, Second, and Third place, respectively. Awards for First, Second, and Third place winner for the Chapter and Sponsor contests will be $50/$25/$15.
2014 President’s Contests
1. Walter Williams Major Work Award – Sponsored by Missouri Center for the Book
2. Best Newspaper Article or Column – Sponsored by Missouri Press Association
3. Best Magazine Article – Sponsored by Missouri Life Magazine
4. Best Anthology – Sponsored by Blank Slate Press
5. Best Poem – Sponsored by Mozark Press
6. “Show Me” Best Book Award – Sponsored by Blank Slate Press
2014 MWG Chapter Contests
1. Flash Fiction – Sponsored by Saturday Writers
2. Inspirational Essay – Sponsored by Saturday Writers
3. Free Verse Poem – Sponsored by St. Louis Writer’s Guild
4. Short Story – Sponsored by Southeast Missouri Writers’ Guild
5. YA Short Story – Sponsored by Southeast Missouri Writers’ Guild (NEW CONTEST)
2014 MWG Sponsor Contests
1. Humorous Short Story – Sponsored by Jo Anna Dale
2. Sci Fi Short Story – Sponsored by Walrus Publishing (NEW CONTEST)
All contest categories will accept entries beginning January 1, 2014. The President’s contest will accept entries until January 31, 2014, and entries to the Chapter and Sponsor contests will be accepted until March 1, 2014. Also, the names and bios of each contest judge will be listed on the conference website by January 1, 2014.
And last, but not least, the conference committee is still seeking contest sponsors for several Chapter and Sponsor contests. Also, if you or your chapter is interested in sponsoring a new contest, e-mail Donna Essner at firstname.lastname@example.org. Write “Contest Sponsor” in subject line.
Complete contest guidelines and contest descriptions will be available on the MWG website within the next few days. So, keep your eyes peeled, your pens poised, and your fingers nimble, then get ready, get set, write!
Contact Donna with any additional contest-related questions, but first click here for additional information >>>
Submitted by Donna J. Essner | djessner-thewriteworld.blogspot.com
Register now for the 2014 MWG Conference & get the Early Bird Rate >>>